Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Architectural’ Category

Using the first versions of my modular building parts. Now realizing that the picture is really blurry. If I want to continue the route of making buildings from moulded parts, or from a mix of moulded and custom parts, I need to redo some originals and moulds. The roof mould is way too crooked and I had problems with air bubbles ruining the sharp edges of the tiles. Note too self: Make all originals as straight as possible since things can always be made to look more crooked during or after moulding. Also: Brush in the silicone in nooks and crannies before pouring.

Edit: This is only the underpainting, more painting to come.

/home/wpcom/public_html/wp-content/blogs.dir/053/19366127/files/2015/01/img_0663.jpg

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Here is the progress so far of my test house. It is for 28 mm figures. This house is a rather run down and wonky building, like most old houses in for instance Florence. This could work as a part of a bigger villa or as a house where some form of business is taking place. Not sure yet.

After I’ve fixed some details I will prime it white and upload some new images.

SAMSUNG SAMSUNG SAMSUNG

Read Full Post »

I never really get to making molds of all parts of my modular Italian buildings. And, I have only done a couple resin copies of one wall. To get a feel for what I can do with the modular building blocks I just did a few casts and pressings using plaster and clay. Since I don’t have molds of all parts I will scratch build a lot of this trial building. Here it is tacked together. A lot of scratch building remains to get this together. When its done that should be the motivation I need to finnish a few more molds and do some resin casts. Work in progress!

image

Read Full Post »

Here are some pictures of my moldmaking. Unfortunately I’ve had a bad batch that’s way thicker than it should be so there are more air bubbles than usual. I would have needed a de-gasser for this.

Anyway, the focus of this post is the mold within the toilet roll. Its a section for my modular Italian buildings. The section that joins walls. The surface of the mold next to the object is relatively free of bubbles so the mold will work pretty well I think.

Edit: Forgot to mention that this is a cut mold. This means that I pour the entire mold and then just cut it open in a zick-zacking manner to get keys to aid when I want to close up the mold. The mold to the right is a two-piece mold.

image

image

image

Read Full Post »

This is a project I’ve been pondering since reading Thucydides and the stories about marines trying to fight their way ashore during battles between Athenians and Spartans. After seeing this thread over at Tom’s Boring Mordheim forum I got the motivation to start. The guy that started that thread has an interesting way of creating cardboard ships and I have definitely gotten a couple of pointers from his method.

This will become a pentekonter (one row of rowers per side) or a bireme (two rows per side). The real measurements have been adapted to fit with the style of 28 mm figures so that the ship becomes shorter and wider than a true scale model.

Tons of work remain but it feels like a good start.

image

image

image

Read Full Post »

Here are the modules so far. The first picture shows one version of the doorway and windows and the second shows the other. Lastly I just put some pieces together to give a sense of how they can work together. Do note that I will make additional pieces to go between the walls and the upper sections so there is a nicer transition.

The two walls that are semi-visible in the bottom of the two first pictures are resin casts of the wall without openings.

image

 

Read Full Post »

image

To illustrate how the stones are shaped I uploaded another picture.

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »