Some quick snapshots of the latest additions to the Italian condottiere collection. Llama painted these to a tabletop standard. The latest batch, the Easterners and some of the other guys, like the musicians, will need some touch-ups (like defining the faces more) but are to my mind essentially good to go. I based them just recently and have finally figured out the ground colour for my bases. In the background of the first figure you can see some civilians. The Easterners can represent Ottoman mercenaries, Byzantines, or a pimped out Italian mercenary group in fancy dress-up.
Archive for the ‘Condottieri’ Category
Using the first versions of my modular building parts. Now realizing that the picture is really blurry. If I want to continue the route of making buildings from moulded parts, or from a mix of moulded and custom parts, I need to redo some originals and moulds. The roof mould is way too crooked and I had problems with air bubbles ruining the sharp edges of the tiles. Note too self: Make all originals as straight as possible since things can always be made to look more crooked during or after moulding. Also: Brush in the silicone in nooks and crannies before pouring.
Edit: This is only the underpainting, more painting to come.
To get a sense of how to get the units together for my 15th century company(-ies) I put all assembled models on the table. First up is an overview of all painted and unpainted figures.
And below is a shot of the artillery piece with heavy Italian infantry just above it. Dismounted men-at-arms to the left and even further to the left are some Ottoman handgunners. The Ottomans are a kitbash experiment that I may or may not use in some capacity. Further back are crossbowmen and medium Italian infantrymen.
Crossbowmen with medium Italian infantry in the back. Note the unpainted medium infantry to the right. I have used Fireforge Games arms to get the speararms and I bought Perry’s shields for them. The other medium infantrymen are modded using Perry parts, including cut up Perry pavises.
And a clearer view of the crossbowmen and a glimpse of the command post carrocccio in the back (with wheels that look a bit too spread out).
And the cavalry. In the front rank are mostly men-at-arms with heavy barding and in the last row are lighter men-at-arms/squires. In the middle men-at-arms with heavy armour but riding horses without heavy barding.
Besides painting, what remains is to assemble more handgunners and crossbowmen, and Perry mounted and dismounted m-a-a. When I start assembling dismounted m-a-a I also need to figure out exactly which figures will be heavy Italian infantry and which will be dismounted m-a-a. I just need to remember that my first priority is to paint up these guys first. Since I went with a paint scheme that fits many Italian cities and factions I’m thinking about making two smaller companies that can be fielded as one bigger company.
I have spent a ridiculous amount of time to get the figures to this point even though I’ve taken some shortcuts with many of the horses. But I’m still trying out new things and learning so experimenting takes times. What remains is to add some more highlights and shadow areas on some of the armours, some vegetation on the bases and possibly some more work on a couple of the faces. Might also add thin bluish-white layers to pull down parts of the white painted areas that recedes into lower light.
As some of you may recall I’m not really into the painting part of this hobby. Mainly because it takes me forever to paint figures and then only to a basic tabletop standard. I do have some interest in getting a few of my Perry MAA’s on to the table so I started painting just four so I wouldn’t be overwhelmed. I’m considering deploying my cavalry in groups (lances) of fours or threes: One knight, one or two MAA’s, and one medium cavalryman that can serve as coustiller/pricker/banner bearer/or French mounted “archer”.
(I will also deploy pages but at a much smaller ratio between pages and knights than would be historical. They will be kept as remount markers separate from the offensive arm of the lance.)
Below are work in progress pics. I still have some lighter whites to go over the feathers and the coustillers uniform. I also need to add some warm and cold glazes to the human skin. I might go for some more detail work if I feel inspired.
Here is the progress so far of my test house. It is for 28 mm figures. This house is a rather run down and wonky building, like most old houses in for instance Florence. This could work as a part of a bigger villa or as a house where some form of business is taking place. Not sure yet.
After I’ve fixed some details I will prime it white and upload some new images.
I never really get to making molds of all parts of my modular Italian buildings. And, I have only done a couple resin copies of one wall. To get a feel for what I can do with the modular building blocks I just did a few casts and pressings using plaster and clay. Since I don’t have molds of all parts I will scratch build a lot of this trial building. Here it is tacked together. A lot of scratch building remains to get this together. When its done that should be the motivation I need to finnish a few more molds and do some resin casts. Work in progress!